off-topic: open/closed punctuation

The best explanation I ever heard of particular controversy was from an
former Framer and old hot-lead journalist, who said that, in newspaper
typefaces, when a quote ends a phrase or sentence, it was typeset with the
quote ABOVE the period (or comma) -- the latter being a narrower character
than the former, there was plenty of room to kern the two into a single
character's width. (He said he's seen the combined "character" in lead; I'll
have to ask the folks down at the SJ Living History's Victorian print shop
if they can confirm.) Presumably, when folks started trying to define
whether such a combined character represented a period followed by a quote
or the other way around for Telex and later computer purposes, some did it
one way and some another. Anyone got any pre-electronic style guides to
confirm this bit of colloquial and possibly fictional history?

Deborah