FM+SGML: round-trip graphics woe

I have a job which contains (references to) several hundred eps files, and
I can't get them to stay transparent.

The print version of this job has a printed tint on the page background.
The graphics should have no background (ie the image background should be
transparent).

I can set this up so it works (though it doesn't show up on screen). But
when I export the file to SGML and reimport it, my graphics all have opaque
white backgrounds again.

I suspect I'm missing something simple but I can't see, for instance an fm
property I could set.

All images are saved in illustrator 7.0.1 (Mac) as illustrator eps with
8-bit PC previews. FM+SGML 5.5 on Win95.

Deadlines loom...

Mark Barratt
Text Matters
37 Upper Redlands Road,            Information design:
  Reading RG1 5JE, UK              We help explain things using
phone +44 (0)118 986 8313          .language
fax   +44 (0)118 931 3743          .design
email markb@textmatters.com        .systems
web   http://www.textmatters.com   .process