Re: OT: RE: Graphics Tool functionality

I installed Bridge the other day and looks to be a cool app. Although like all the other CS2 apps, it is rather memory hungry and gives the swap file a real workout on my Mac with 1-gigabyte of memory. In 2002, that was my minimum memory requirement for new hardware. I'd recommend at least 2 GB if you intend to run several CS2 apps simultaneously. CPU-wise they appear to be OK and don't hog processor cycles.

Getting back to Bridge, it looks to be a very useful application. It shows previews of all the files in a folder, including FrameMaker documents, PDFs, EPS files, AI files, PSD files (Photoshop), and more.

Bridge makes thumbnail images of all new files it encounters, which consumes resources in relation to the number and size of the files. Then, these thumbnails are stored in cache files, so they don't need to be recreated on every encounter. There are some preferences you can set for caches, local or central, purge, etc.

Adobe say: "From Bridge you can view, search, sort, manage, and process image files. You can use Bridge to create new folders; rename, move, and delete files; edit metadata; rotate images; and run batch commands. You can also view information about files and data imported from your digital camera."

I'm currently looking at thumbnail previews of all 195 EPS graphics in my current job. A great way to locate files. I can increase the size of the thumbnails by using a slider, just like the one in iPhoto.

Adobe appear to have taken the best bits from Mac and Windows and built their own file manager. In fact, with the CS2 apps, they've even redesigned the Mac OS X Open and Save dialog boxes.

Bridge is probably most related to the former Photoshop image browser.

The Open and Save dialog box option Use Adobe Dialog (or Use System Dialog) are related to Version Cue, a version-control feature in Creative Suite applications. All CS2 applications can work with Version Cue, but you need to buy the complete suite to implement the function. If one user on your local network has installed and activated Version Cue from the CS2 suite, other users of CS2 applications on the network can work with the version-controlled files, whether they have installed the complete CS2 suite, or only one or more of the CS2 standalone applications.
--

Regards,

Peter Gold
___________________________________peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx