Re: Problem moving FM docs from Mac To PC

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:17:14 -0700 (PDT), Daniel Emory
<danemory7224@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>These dcos have large numbers of QuickDraw Pict
>graphics imported by copy. Some have overlayed
>callouts that were added in FrameMaker. The original
>graphics source files no longer exist. But, when
>they're opened in FrameMaker 7 on a PC, many of them
>show up a gray boxes. It appears that some of these
>graphics also have a FrameVector facet in addition to
>QuickDraw Pict, while others do not. They've tried
>saving and reopening the files (in FM 7) with
>FrameImage enabled, but that doesn't help.
>
>Any suggestions?

Sure.  Move the files to the PC as-is, and run Mif2Go
to export the PICT graphics; they will be written out
as file001.pct, file002.pct, etc.  Then use a batch
converter, like Graphic Workshop Pro ($45 shareware
from <http://www.mindworkshop.com/alchemy>), to make
them into another vector format like WMF, or bitmaps.

Then we have the labor-intensive part of the task...
Look at them and rename them to something descriptive.
One by one, select the gray boxes and File > Import
the correct new version in Frame.  This will keep the
added Frame callouts in place.  It might be easier to
import the new forms on a Mac, where you can see what
the old ones looked like...

They don't even have to buy Mif2Go; the demo version
will export the PICT graphics (and any other graphics
copied into the files) without alteration:
  http://www.omsys.com/dcl/download.htm

HTH!
  <jeremy@xxxxxxxxx>  http://www.omsys.com/