OT:E-Commerce Systems

Hello Framers,

Please excuse the off-topic post, but I have some questions about
e-commerce, or shopping cart, systems.

1) Is it best to buy a canned system, or to build your own?

2) O'Reilly and others have books on PHP and mySQL systems for e-commerce.
Is this combination a reasonable solution for "real world" web sites?

3) Can you recommend any e-commerce developers?

Background: I have received some interest in my PDF shopping cart solution.
The original version was designed to be distributed on CD-ROM to authorized
dealers. After selecting the parts, the user would click a Create Order Form
button on the PDF, which would create a filled-in PDF order form. This form
contained buttons to print the form, save the data as XLS, or to submit it
as an email attachment.

The new requirements are for a more traditional, web-based shopping cart.
So, instead of a Create Order Form button, the user would select the parts
and enter quantities, and then click an Add to Cart button on the PDF. This
would function like an Add to Cart button on an HTML page. There would also
be a View Cart button on the PDF that would take them to the HTML page
showing the cart. From that page, they would have the typical Check Out
buttons, etc.

So the main thing I need to learn is the JavaScript syntax for my buttons,
etc., so that the PDFs can be coded properly. Thanks for any advice you can
give.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing
585 659-8267