Re: Searching Frame 6.0 document for straight apostrophe

Hello David Clarke,

At least in FrameMaker 5.5.6, copying the single and double quote characters FROM THE
DOCUMENT and then CLOSING AND REOPENING the 'Find" dialogue box CHANGES
these characters into the appropriate character combinations for searching. I have in the past
made considerable use of this property in hunting down straight quotes within documents ported
from PCWrite (a DOS-based word processor which did straight quotes) into FrameMaker.

FrameMaker 5.5.6 is quite well-behaved in this regard. Still, quotes from the keyboard do get
entered as straight quotes, at least on my system. Forward and backward curly quotes have
to be copied from the text.

FrameMaker 7.0, which I also have, behaves differently.and not as appropriately for your
purposes. Alas, I don't have any version of FrameMaker 6.x that I can test for you.

Are you running your FrameMaker 6.x with 'Smart Quotes' enabled?

My advice is, whenever you find something that works, go with the flow and use it. A complex
and mature piece of software like FrameMaker (any version) is best approached as if it were
a supernatural being; when you stumble upon some incantation sequence that makes it yield your
desired results, just be sure that you use that sequence in precisely that same way every time!
Don't lose any sleep trying to make the software package's behavior seem rational to you.

Chuck Hastings cwh2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Vintage Silicon Logic, Seattle

David.Clarke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hello,

Can anyone advise how to search for a straight apostrophe in a (Windows) FrameMaker 6.0 document? I have a document where straight apostrophes occur (ANSI Character 039, HEX \x27) in the text, but I can't seem to locate them from the Find dialogue. I have converted the file to MIF and found the characters as hex - \x27, but when I type in the 039 character or straight apostrophe from the keyboard into the Find dialogue box, it finds only single right quotes (ANSI Character 092, \x146).

If I copy the character and paste it into the Find dialogue, it doesn't find it. If I search for Text & formats on clipboard, it does. This is wrecking my head - has anyone seen this before?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer,
Dave

David Clarke, Connect Global Solutions
Tel. No.  + 353 (0) 1 882 9040
Fax No.  + 353 (0) 1 882 9050
Email:     david.clarke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web:      http://www.connectcgs.com

********************************************************************** This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com