.fm vs .e## vs .xml

Hello.

I'm using Docbook, and am encouraging my coworker to use DocBook, but she is
using  Framemaker 7 - Of which I know little of - although I've been able to
manage so far to be her resource to answer her Framemaker questions!

She is using a FM "book" file, for all practical purposes it seems to work
for me. But I'm curious:

1) Is there a way to setup FM to it can simply edit XML files in FM's
structured mode? (instead of importing .xml, converting to .fm and
reexporting to .xml)

2) Is there a way for FM to create .xml files instead of a bunch of .e##
files?

Or is this how you all do this?

Thanks!
LN