forcing soft returns in index markers?

Howdy, folks. We have a few index entries that are just too long to fit
nicely (really long command names, or necessary See alsos) in the
column. I hate "fixing" these entries manually in the generated file.
Too often there is some last-minute change to the book, I have to re-gen
the index, and then find and "fix" the entries all over again.

Is there any way I can insert a soft return in the index marker itself?
I've been trying with no success.

thanks, bws