Re: What image format to use

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:05:15 -0800, "Sharon Burton" <sharonburton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Now how this works in Mif2Go, which I own and love, I don't know. But these
>are things to think about. I do know that PNGs work well in WWP.

For Word output, Mif2Go still prefers BMPs, especially when the
Frame graphics tools are used to add callouts or other elements.
That way, the graphic is still editable in Word (as WMF), which
is important if the doc will be maintained in Word <sigh> later.
But those BMPs need not be the form actually present in the Frame
doc; you could have PNGs there with no problem.

For Web output, Mif2Go can generate many different formats from
whatever you have in Frame: BMP, TIFF, WMF, JPEG (default), GIF,
PNG, EPS, PICT, CGM, IGES, and, for Frame 7.1, SVG and PDF.  It
uses Frame's internal graphic export filters for this, no other
conversion app needed.  And you can also just pass through the
original graphic referenced in Frame, regardless of its format.

Mif2Go can also use the same filters for Word output, but they
always produce graphics at the same real resolution as the Frame
*display*, not as the original referenced graphic.  This is fine
for the Web, where pages are viewed more than printed.  However,
it is not so great for Word, where the print images will not be
as sharp as they could be if you used the original resolution.
Hence the difference in our recommendation for the two cases.

  <jeremy@xxxxxxxxx>  http://www.omsys.com/