RE: FrameMaker's Future

I wouldn't panic about FrameMaker going away anytime soon. It rocks and I still use it often.

When it comes to getting your business content into XML from Frame, Mif2go does the job for us. I've never had reason to use Epic Interchange. I can't even remember whether it's an add-on at cost right now.

Converting legacy data raises an interesting series of questions. Again, are we really writing individual documents that do not share any content from one to the next? If so, then converting every single document to XML is probably required (if you're going to a database publishing option).

However, you may find that as much as 60% or even 80% of your content is identical. Once your database is populated with one or two representative files, conversion becomes something you do very infrequently.

There's also Adobe Document Server. It's the enterprise-wide application that can use XML-related standards to create pretty PDF files as well as other output formats. I think one can set it up for use with FrameMaker templates as well.

Whether you're thinking about Arbortext E3 (with support for slurping Word or web browser-edited documents into XML) Adobe Document Server, the enterprise solutions are significant investment in terms of money and calendar time.

Interesting discussion.

Best regards,
Jason