RE: FrameMaker's Future

I can see the use of XML for publishing highly repetitive information, such as a catalog (repetitive in formatting, not content). I fail to see how it would help with somewhat more creative documents, such as a large software manual, a technical standard and so forth.

If I wanted to do something like that I'd use a database, in fact I already do. FileMaker is my choice. I can output nicely formatted pages designed for print, or reams of html.

But if I was writing a book (which I might do) or thousand-page long technical standards (which I do) or a newsletter (which I also do) I don't think I'd want to do it in XML!

- David Crowe