Re: FrameMaker's Future

On 13 Jan 2005, at 17:28, Stevens, Ananda ((GE Healthcare)) wrote:

It will be very, very interesting to see what Pages's capabilities are. I doubt that Pages 1.0 will be close to what Frame users would want to switch to, but I would not be surprised if Apple is thinking about using that as a step towards a Frame replacement.

This was intended for another list, but I'll post it here now that you've mentioned Pages. Technical users out there, please bear with me.

Pages didn't turn out to be a FrameMaker replacement, but it does have some interesting features: graphics that flow with text, paragraph and character styles, tables, table of contents, running headers and footers, bookmarks (x-refs that work in PDFs?), hypertext links, multiple columns, footnotes, and so on. Import and export looks good. No indexing or variables, but then it is only version 1. No doubt it will mature over time. Maybe there'll be a Pages Pro?

Several people have commented that Pages looks very much like the old Pages app for NeXTSTEP, made by a company called Pages, which also allowed you to change the entire document on-the-fly with themes. The original Pages sold for $695. iWork, which includes Keynote and Pages, retails at $79.

I've just checked one of Apple's more recent user manuals, G5 iMac, and apart from the lack of indexing, Pages may have all the functionality necessary to produce a typical Apple user manual. I'm intrigued to see if the Mac mini, iPod shuffle, or iWork manuals will be made in Pages. My guess is that Steve Jobs would love to get his documentation department out the Classic environment even if it means sacrifices.

I can't see any templates for user manuals. Perhaps you can create your own? And there's no mention of manuals in the list of uses (I don't expect any mention of technical publications at this level.)

In some ways, Pages looks to be a replacement for PageMaker. Small businesses, clubs, groups, education people, and so on who want to knock together a professional looking document quickly but don't want to use Word or InDesign.

Imagine having one theme for a printed document, then selecting your Web theme and have the entire document automatically reformat itself ready for the Web?

The ability to export HTML and the hypertext links make me wonder if Pages can be used as a basic Web page creation tool?

I guess we'll know a lot more on 22 of this month.

I just took a look at ArborText's web site. This sounds like the product that FrameMaker could have (and should have) been by now: a write-once, publish-anywhere system.

Perhaps Adobe will buy it?

Paul