	From: Larry Kollar [mailto:Larry.Kollar@xxxxxxxxxx]
	Sent: Thu 1/13/2005 11:24 AM
	To: Free Framers List
	Subject: RE: FrameMaker's Future

	> "Finally, we experienced a 29% year-over-year decline in type and
	technical
	> publishing products, which includes our Adobe FrameMaker product, due to
	> overall economic weakness..."

	I wonder how much of that is economic weakness and how much is due to a
	fundamental shift away from publishing on paper. Frame (and Word, for that
	matter) is a very paper-centric program that has had some electronic
	publishing features bolted on over the years. It's really a tribute to
	Frame's versatility that it has remained as relevant as it has, despite a
	nearly nonexistent mindshare inside Adobe, for as long as it has.

	But now we're in a Catch-22: Frame isn't going to return to its glory days
	without a fundamental makeover that includes a more media-neutral look &
	feel, and Adobe isn't going to devote large resources to Frame without a
	surge in sales.

	--
	Larry Kollar, Senior Technical Writer, ARRIS
	"Content creators are the engine that drives