Re: changing images from 'copy into document' to 'import by reference'

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:47:53 +0200, hjong@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>is there a way to do this? I've inherited some documents with loads of images copied into
>them, making the files large and unwieldy. I'd like to 'export' all the images from the
>document, and have them imported by reference instead.

Yes.  Mif2Go will do that for you, losslessly.  Since Frame
doesn't keep the original names, the graphics will come out
named with the first four letters of the filename, plus a
four-digit number, like chap0001.gif.  (You can change the
number of letters and digits used if you prefer, to keep
all the names distinct.)  Set Up for Standard HTML (or any
other HTML/XML format you please), then in mif2htm.ini, set:

[GraphExport]
ImportGraphics=Export
; ExportNameChars = chars from base file name to use in export file names
ExportNameChars=4
; ExportNumDigits = number of digits to use in export file names
ExportNumDigits=4

After you run, open each Frame file and go through it; at
each imported graphic, select the image (not the frame it's
in) and then use File | Import | File to replace it with
the corresponding graphics file.  You may want to rename
the graphics files first, so that you have a better idea
of which one to choose.  Then save the .fm, and go on to
the next one.

And you don't even have to license Mif2Go to do this; the
free sample version will do it all for you:
  http://www.omsys.com/dcl/download/samp33u40.zip
We specifically authorize commercial use of the sample
version for this purpose.  Enjoy!

  <jeremy@xxxxxxxxx>  http://www.omsys.com/