Visio drawings and FrameMaker file size

We have over 100 Visio drawings including text labels that we want to include in our FrameMaker documents. All of our docs are localized into at least 2 other languages. Thought at first we'd include VSD as OLE, but this blows up the FrameMaker file size too much. Is a conversion to GIF, EPS or the like a solution? We'd still want to avoid graphics conversion (if possible), as this would mean we'd have to keep, store and maintain two sets of graphic sources (original drawing in vsd and a converted version which would actually be imported as a reference to FM). Any suggestions on how to make good use and re-use of Visio drawings, knowing we'd want to keep FM file size down? Should we just forget Visio and do the drawings using FM native tool?

I've tested and inserted 6 of 100 Visio drawings (each between 35 and as much as 500KB in size) into a FM file, the file size went up from 800KB to 1,600KB. I do not dare think what the files size would be if I did 100!

Alenka