Re: Screen Capture Resolution Problem in FM 7.1

On 17 Sep 2004, at 20:29, T.W. Smith wrote:

Take a look at Screen Captures 102, here:
<http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/magazine/technical/ screencapgraphicshomepage.html>.
EPS is really not necessary and might be more work than you need to
do.

I think EPS is the only format that can contain interpolation instructions for Distiller.

Anyway, I only ever use EPS (vector graphics) and TIFF (bitmaps) because they're 99.9% PostScript imagesetter-safe. And since Distiller is essentially a PostScript RIP, I stick with these formats for non-print PDF documents as well. If I remember rightly, PostScript RIPs support LZW decompression so I use it for TIFF files.

This may not be so relevant these days, what with the new graphics file formats on the block, but here's a snippet from an article I wrote way back in 1998.

--
Confused by all the file formats on Photoshops's Save As menu? Fear not. For professional publishing there are only two file formats to consider: EPS (Encapsulated PostScript) and TIFF (Tagged Image Format). What makes these two formats such sure shots? Their well connected heritage: the EPS format was defined in 1987 by publishing heavyweights Adobe, Aldus, and Altsys, while the TIFF specification was released by Aldus in 1986. You probably know Adobe (DTP kingpin and third largest software company in the world) and Aldus, developer of PageMaker, the product that sparked the desktop publishing revolution over a decade ago and now part the Adobe product family, but you may not have heard of Altsys. It was the original developer of the Aldus FreeHand illustration program (which now belongs to Macromedia) and the Fontographer font editing program. With that illustrious heritage, it's hardly surprising that EPS and TIFF files are supported by all the main computing platforms, including Macintosh, Windows, and UNIX.
--

Cheers

Paul Findon