Re: Unavailable Fonts... Sheepish in Seattle

[ The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.
  This reply is sent only to the "Free Framers" mailing list.
  If this reply is useful, consider copying it to FrameUsers. ]

From: "Paul Kent" <JoPaKent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> So I've got the message "yada yada unavailable fonts yada yada"
> appearing and I thought I knew how to solve this, but I'm snagged.
>
> However I'm not finding the offending font.  My confusion is this: when
> I open the doc, Frame prompts me to substitute a good font for the bad
> one.  Does this mean that it won't find instances of the bad font
> because they've already been done away with?  If this case, how do I get
> out of the loop?  Every time I open the file I begin the little dance
> again; silly but I can't find my way out.
>
> I looked for instances in the body, reference & master pages, but none
> are found.

For a complete run-down of this problem, see my web page:
http://w1.184.telia.com/~u18407300/fonts/unavailable.html

If FM's suggestion for substitution is OK by you, or you know the
font isn't really used anywhere, turn OFF the File > Preference
"Remember Missing Font Names", reopen and resave the documents.

If not, turn ON the preference and then search the document.
However, fonts can lurk in the most peculiar places.
If you *really* need to find them and check them, you may have
to save the document to MIF and search the MIF files.

Another approach is to "simply" install the fonts FM is asking
for, and get rid of the messages that way :-)