Re: Strange spacing problem in equations--on one machine only!

Ed:

At 01:56 PM 5/6/2004, Ed Treijs wrote:
Hi all;

One PC with FrameMaker 7.0p578/Windows 2000 did odd things with spacing in
equations.  Some items were scrunched closer together than they should be,
while in other places spaces are opened up.  The net result was that, for
many shrink-wrapped equations, the leftmost and rightmost parts of the
equations were beyond the frame and therefore not visible.

You didn't say if the other machines also had Win2000 or not.

I found out the hard way recently that there are some differences in typography with and without Adobe Type Manager Light installed on Win2000/WinXP. These releases are not supposed to need ATM, and I guess, strictly speaking, they don't. However, there are slight differences in the rendering/kerning of some fonts with and without ATM. This slight difference was responsible for page break differences between a FM book on a machine with and without ATM.

This was not *just* a screen display problem, because the problem affects
printed and PDF output from this machine.  (And changing the
DisplayUsingPrinterMetrics setting does not fix the problem.)

We took the same file and opened it on other FrameMaker 7.0p578 machines,
and the equations displayed and printed correctly (and presumably PDFed
correctly).

The solution?

We reinstalled the Symbol font and this cleared up the spacing problem.
PDFs also look fine.

However, tall braces grouping several lines print incorrectly--the centre <
part prints backward, as >.  But it looks okay on screen and in PDF.

Anyone else come across this kind of problem?

Also, has Adobe shut down or severely curtailed its support knowledgebase?
I could not find a way of searching the knowledgebase through adobe.com.
Many links from the Resources/FrameMaker bugs section of Microtype's page to
specific Adoble supportbase items lead to "page not found" messages now.

I can't speak for Adobe on this, but I did have trouble finding my way to the knowledgebase myself recently. I seem to recall that I did get there, but I can't remember how. The obvious links are not available, as you noted. Perhaps someone at Adobe will look into this for us all.

Regards,

Peter Gold
Adobe Certified Expert: FrameMaker, Acrobat, InDesign