Re: Adobe FrameMaker End-of-Life for Macintosh Platform

Hello Free Framers,

I once learned FrameMaker on a Mac, in a UC Santa Cruz
Extension four-day intensive course.  Since then I've just
used it on PCs under several generations of Windows.
I didn't encounter much look-and-feel difference between
Mac FrameMaker and Windows FrameMaker? only,
where some icons were located on the desktop.

So I may not have any official standing to feel sad about
Adobe abandoning Mac FrameMaker, but for me Adobe's
business decision has the look and feel of

  "99 bottles of beer on the wall . . . "

Actually  # 98, since Adobe yanked Linux FrameMaker a couple
of years ago with the disingenuous explanation that there were just
too many different incompatible versions of Linux out there.

What will be beer bottle  # 97?

Adobe should move NOW to make FrameMaker source code
available to the open-source community, before the world's premier
authoring tool dies a lingering death of a thousand marketplace cuts.

Either that ? or else pledge publicly that FrameMaker will be
supported wholeheartedly until the next Ice Age, and MEAN it.

Chuck Hastings      Vintage Silicon Logic      metro Seattle

cwh2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx