Re: O/S superiority [was: RE: XP and Frame]

[ The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.
  This reply is sent only to the "Free Framers" mailing list. ]

From: "Bodvar Bjorgvinsson" <bodvar@atlanta.is>
> > We know of no situation in which "Windows XP corrupts FrameMaker files."
> > Windows XP is an exceptionally stable operating system and in terms of
> > file system integrity is no less reliable than Windows 2000 or MacOS X
> > or for that matter, many of the UNIX variants.
>
> Of course, everyone is happy that the M$ O/S's improve. It was about time,
> but it is wrong to say that XP is "no less stable" than these.
> [...] this article:
> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1185057,00.asp,
> where it says:
>
> "The stability of Linux and Mac OS may have also helped with the rise of
> overall user satisfaction. These OSs, our readers say, crash even less
> often than Windows XP."

It's quite interesting to check the results of this survey:

"[his] story is one of more than 18,000 we've collected in our 16th annual
 Service and Reliability Survey."

Question: First-year desktops: does your OS freeze?

Mac OS X:   Never ~53%, rarely ~42%, frequently ~ 5%
Windows XP: Never ~43%, rarely ~44%, frequently ~13%
Windows 2K: Never ~39%, rarely ~54%, frequently ~ 7%
Windows NT: Never ~27%, rarely ~63%, frequently ~10%
Windows 98: Never ~17%, rarely ~66%, frequently ~17%
Windows ME: Never ~ 7%, rarely ~66%, frequently ~27%

All others: Never ~43%, rarely ~52%, frequently ~ 5%

Diagram at:
http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/2/0,3363,i=25924,00.gif

"Fewer than 1 percent of the desktop PCs in the survey are running Linux,
 and fewer than 2 percent are running Mac OS."

Thomas Michanek, FrameMaker/UNIX/MIF expert
Technical Communicator, Uppsala, Sweden
mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telia.com
http://go.to/framers/