Re: Rumour: FM really is dead

At 9:03 PM -0500 04/12/03, Fred Ma wrote:

>The baffling thing is that Adobe doesn't consider FM
>worthwhile.  How can that be?  We live in a capitalist
>environment.  There is no product (that I know of, not
>that I'm any final authority) that even begins to
>rival FM for technical composition.

  I've wondered that myself. We have all seen the list of corporate
clients, including IBM, Boeing, Apple, the Pentagon, Nortel (used to
have 25,000 seats licenced when I worked there) and many others. How
can it not be a money maker? After the demise of Interleaf there is
no competition. Word is a joke. With Unicode support for FrameMaker
it would be a no brainer. I just don't understand Adobe's thinking.
Maybe it's an old code base, but the future is much longer, and
owning this particular market has to be worth money.

- web