Re: Mif2Go -> GIFs

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 11:46:10 -0400 , John Posada <JPosada@book.com> wrote:

>Hi, guys...toward delivering a package of files for the customer when I
>leave, I'm using Mif2Go to convert my FM7 files to Word RTFs.
>
>Question. My graphics are, for the most part, GIFs by reference, and the
>graphics conversion as default configured is not acceptable...it ain't
>happening.
>
>Is there something I need to do to prepare the graphics, is it a change in
>an INI, or should I have used a different format of graphic?

For Word RTF output, Mif2Go embeds a WMF of each graphic in the
Word file.  To do this, it needs the bitmap part of the graphic
to be in BMP or WMF format.  If the bitmap is in some other format,
like your GIFs, Mif2Go can handle it either of these two ways:

1. (Best quality) Use a third-party converter to make BMPs from
your GIFs.  (There are plenty of free ones around that do all the
files in a directory with one command.)  Put the .bmps in your
conversion directory (where you have the mif2rtf.ini) and set:

[WordOptions]
FilePaths=None
FileNames=Map

[GraphFiles]
gif=bmp

If you have other formats, like JPEG, add lines for them:

jpg=bmp

(You can also make these settings from the Conversion Designer,
but I find Notepad just as simple... ;-)

Then Mif2Go will use the BMPs to make the embedded WMFs.

2. (Quickest) In the Export dialog, select the "Write for
anchored frames" option.  Then Mif2Go will use Frame's own
graphic export filters to convert each anchored frame to a
WMF, which it will then embed in the Word RTF file.  This
is a one-click solution, but it results in graphics that
are at *screen* resolution and therefore may not print as
well in Word as those produced by the first method.  And
screenshots won't be as sharp.

There are a few other possibilities too, all discussed in
painful detail in the User's Guide, par. 6.13, "Converting
graphics for print RTF" and the related sections it xrefs.

HTH!

  (support@omsys.com)  http://www.omsys.com/