Re: B/W printing of imported color PDFs

Allen Schaaf wrote:

> Fred,
>
> I use either EPS or TIFF for my images in FM and have no problems with the red not rendering as black.
>
> Some times a red that has a lot of black in it (a deep shade of red that you can check using the color picker in almost any image program) will render black.
>
> The solution to this, and the obverse, is to down sample the color gamut to a maximum of 256 colors (I actually use the 216 web safe colors). This will darken the light and lighten the darks so that it should render well in printing and yet retain the color in a PDF.
>
> Even given that, you will find that there are a few graphics that need to be beaten about the head and shoulders with an image program and a little time.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Allen Schaaf
> Information Engineering
> http://techwriter.doctordoc.info/

Hi, Allen,

The red looks pretty standard red to me.
I'm pretty sure that the graphic itself
(and the underlying PDF file) is fine because
the PDF can be viewed with acrobat, and
the imported graphic looks colorful  at all
the places that it should.  So the problem
happens when the document that hosts the PDF
graphic is printed.

Fred

--
Fred Ma, fma@doe.carleton.ca
Carleton University, Dept. of Electronics