Re: How many Framemaker Users -- Ballpark

*** The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.
*** This reply is sent only to the "Free Framers" mailing list.
*** If this reply is useful, consider forwarding it to FrameUsers.

From: "Jon Harvey" <Jon_Harvey@biogen.com>
> How common is FrameMaker in the technical writing community relative to
> other related tools, such as Word? I was told recently that relatively few
> technical writers use FrameMaker. I know it's easy to get into a
> discussion here about which is the better tool and what the tools are used
> for, but I was wondering whether anyone has seen any polls or statistics.

Winwriters make a survey each year, see
http://www.winwriters.com/surveys/skillstech03/index.html
It's somewhat guided towards authoring of Windows help systems.
You can check the results from 2000, 2001 och 2002 via the links.

A short summary:
2000: 93% of 1300 respondents used Word in their work, 56% used FM.
The award for "Best Tool I've Ever Used" goes to Allaire's HomeSite.
An impressive 40% of the respondents granted it that distinction.
Runners up were FrameMaker (34%), ...

2001: 85% of 800 respondents used Word in their work, 57% used FM.
FrameMaker from Adobe scored at the top of the list with 70% of respondents
indicating they enjoyed "Extremely High" or "High" satisfaction with the product.
[Word is at the bottom of the list with 28%]

2002: 89% of 300 respondents used Word in their work, 51% used FM.
The percentage of respondents being Happy ("4") or Extremely Happy ("5")
with each of the tools: FrameMaker at 5th place with 78%, Word not in the list.