converting a .fm file to .mif without opening the file in Frame

Is there a way to convert a .fm file to a .mif file without opening the
file in Frame?

I have a .fm file that references an animation that was saved
incorrectly. Now I'm having trouble opening the .fm file. I figure the
way around this is to get the file into a .mif format, then edit the
.mif file and remove the reference to the animation. I've managed to
get the file opened in Frame *once*, but subsequent tries have been
unsuccessful. I've restarted Frame and Classic a number of times. When
I open the .fm file, Frame looks for the file "Untitled.00000.tif", the
image of the first frame in the animation. Unfortunately, the
individual frames are no longer available. So when I hit "Cancel",
Frame appears to hang.

We are working on getting a new version of the animation file;
hopefully, Frame will see the correctly-formatted animation file and
open the .fm file. However, if that doesn't happen....

Any suggestions?

I've got FM7 on a Mac running OS X v 10.2.5.

Thanks,
Ananda