Re: Space above tables in Structured FrameMaker

DW Emory wrote:

> Lynne describes perfectly how it is done in a structured doc. But
> there's one more trick that could be added. If different tables
> require different space above settings, you could add a choice-type
> SpcAbv attribute to the parent element which contains the table (i.e.,
> the element whose format rules specify the paragraph tag to be used
> for the anchoring paragraph). The default value of the attribute would
> specify the most commonly used space above settings The other values
> (assuming there are a finite number of possibilities) would select a
> different space above setting.
>
> The values of that attribute would be used in the Format Rules, where
> each rule would modify the space above setting for the anchoring
> paragraph.

Thanks to Lester, Lynne, and Dan for the suggestions.

The main issue I am trying to resolve is that tables must have a certain
number of points of blank space above if they begin within the body of a
column, but must have no space above if they begin at the top of a
column. I have found no way to achieve this using the table fmt alone.
It sounds like the consensus is that I should define an element like
TableContainer, wrap my tables in this element, and rely on the same
formatting "trick" I have used in Unstructured FrameMaker. I will
implement this approach.

Thank again,

D.

--

David Knopf ~ Knopf Online ~ San Francisco, CA
mailto:david@knopf.com ~ http://www.knopf.com

Consulting & Training on FrameMaker & WebWorks Publisher
WebWorks Publisher Certified
Member, JavaHelp 2.0 Expert Group
Moderator, HATT, wwp-users & wordhelp