RE: MS Word and XML

To be very clear and attempting to be non-judgmental about this issue,
in fact the proprietary, binary formats of Microsoft's Office product
has indeed changed since Office 97 to at least accommodate new features.
To say otherwise is to tell hundreds of software engineers around the
world that there was absolutely no reason to need to reverse-engineer
the file formats of Office 2000 and Office XP for filters for their
products. Even RTF changed although in an upward-compatible manner.

I would disagree that there is ANYTHING straightforward about writing
an import filter for Microsoft Word-format documents, whether binary
or RTF. Not only is there the problem of physically parsing these
formats, but there is the larger problem of INTERPRETATION of the
formatting data therein. In fact, depending upon the "compatibility"
options chosen within Microsoft Word, document layout can vary all over
the place, literally. To make matters even worse, current versions of
Word do NOT interpret older versions of Microsoft Word binary format
the way they were originally interpreted by older versions of the
software. Old Word documents that I created ten years ago have terrible
formatting problems, especially with regards to indents and spacing,
when opened by Word XP (i.e., the version that comes with Office XP)
today! If Microsoft has trouble interpreting all the versions of their
documents, what do you we and others have?!?

        - Dov (on a Monday morning!)