RE: MS Word and XML

At 06:19 PM 4/28/03 +0200, Moritz Berger wrote:
>The author of that article fails to get its facts straight:
>
>Quote: "By maintaining a proprietary binary format that frequently changes,
>Microsoft has kept the exit costs high for potential defectors."
>
>Let's see: 1997 was the last time that Microsoft changed the Word file
>format (Office 2003 still uses the same "Word8" binary format as Office 97).
>
>6+ years and going strong ain't "frequent changes" to me ...

So, are you suggesting that the addition of new "features" to Word in the
past 6+ years doesn't affect the ability to import Word documents into
other DTPs such as FM? Why is it that the 3rd-party vendors of
Word-to-Whatever filters have to keep updating their filters to track new
Word releases?

>Come on, you all ought to be familiar with the fact that importing Word
>files into PM, FM, ID, QXP etc. is fairly straightforward and happens every
>day at every publisher around the world.

Now that's truly laughable. Anyone who converts from Word-to-Frame can
attest to the massive cleanup required to turn it into a halfway decent
Frame document.
And of course going the other way--Frame-to-Word or RTF is even more
catastrophic.

The holy grail we all seek is true information interchange, which demands
the capability to output documents created in any proprietary software
product into a non-proprietary format established by an International
Standard in which the content and the intended formatting is preserved,
such that any other proprietary software capable of importing documents in
that standard format can faithfully replicate both the content and the
intended formatting of that content.

Provably, Microsoft never intends to work toward that goal because it would
threaten Offices's market domination, which now discourages competing
software companies from producing products that are superior to those in
the Office suite, particularly Word, which is most certainly the worst
piece of crap ever created by human beings, and is probably responsible for
the greatest diminution of human productivity in world history.

>I somehow fail to see the "MS Office barrier of exit" that DWE and the
>author of the yellow press "register" site proclaim ...
>
>Reason that most people stick with Office IMHO is that the alternatives are
>inferior.

See my above comment. Almost any good software company could produce
products far superior to those in the Office suite if it had a good shot at
generating a high enough demand to sell those products at a competitive price.

DW Emory <danemory@globalcrossing.net>