Re: Note re PS Portability/Speed (was Re: PDF Creation Problem)

Actually, the portability setting was there to turn OFF some
optimizations that were made in generating PostScript via the
driver. The driver assumed that applications would not "passthrough"
PostScript that would modify certain current graphic states.
Some applications didn't quite follow the (un)written rules and
thus, the "portability" option was setup to make no assumptions
about how "rude" an application would be in intermixing GDI calls
and passthrough PostScript. Ironically, if I recall correctly, one
of the most problematic applications for this was indeed FrameMaker.
After Adobe acquired Frame Development, the problems were fixed.
My recollection is that once FrameMaker reached release 5.1, the
problem was gone!

        - Dov