RE: eps problems

> In fact, except for the EPS-passthrough and some limited PostScript
> generated by FrameMaker for "housekeeping" purposes, under Windows,
> the PostScript from a FrameMaker document is indeed generated by
> the driver.

And thus Reader takes matters into its own bits, so to speak?

> The name "Distiller"
> came from the fact that the primary job of that piece of software was
> to "distill" and isolate the graphical essence of the complex PostScript
> job stream, a majority of which is often control and housekeeping code.

OK, that makes sense. I get the impression, though, that Distiller
compresses the file in some manner, judging from comparing sizes of
PS and PDF files (even in books without bitmap shots). I'm not sure
whether it's a true compression or if it's optimizing the PS in some
way (or both). I probably ought to *read* that PDF spec I downloaded
last week. :-D

> ... the controllers of most PostScript laser printers
> are much slower than the host computers "feeding" them PostScript ...

That's certainly true: even a Mac IIsi will sit waiting on a printer.
The only app that would make its printer -- a GCC BLP Elite -- churn
out pages at its maximum 4ppm was OzTeX. TeX, as you probably know,
rasterizes everything before sending it to the printer, saving the
printer the trouble....

--
Larry Kollar, Senior Technical Writer, ARRIS
"Content creators are the engine that drives