pulling bookmarks from other files in the book

The PDF files for some of our guides are pretty large to post on the Web, so
I'm trying to find the best way to break them down. I know that one option
is to create separate PDFs for each file in the book. The problem with that
is each PDF only has bookmarks for that particular file--I need them to have
bookmarks to the rest of the chapters in the guide.

I know that I can create pdfmark code that will create bookmarks to other
files when I distill a Frame file. But we're starting to do several custom
versions of each guide, which will make it difficult to maintain the pdfmark
code.

Does anyone know another way to pull bookmarks from other files in a book?

(I've tried ARTS PDF Splitter, and it works perfectly. However, we're also
starting to link among different guides, and I haven't been able to make PDF
Splitter maintain cross-guide links when I split the PDF files.)