FM7patch.exe and installed FrameMaker 7.0 disagree

Two days ago, in desperation when I was trying to get Frame 7.0p597 to
print a large .PS file without crashing, I uninstalled Frame and then
reinstalled it. I also installed the two patches, FM7patch.exe and
FM7fltpatch.exe.

Now the Help > About... panel tells me I have 7.0p492, and the
characteristic bug in navigation in a book shows up. But if I try to
reinstall the FM7patch.exe which fixed that, it tells me that I have
7.0p597 installed.

So I uninstalled and reinstalled FM7.0 again, with a reboot before and
after, reinstalled FM7patch.exe again, and tried navigating in a book
again. Still the same problem - and no doubt all the other bugs
supposedly fixed are in fact still there.

Somebody is not telling the truth. How do I get out of this quandary?
Can I get a clean 7.0p597 somewhere? Any other ideas?

Charles Hawtrey