Re: FrameMaker Wiki not updating links

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 13:02:37 +1100, hedley_finger@myob.com.au wrote:

>Thanks for putting up the FrameMaker wiki at
><http://www.freeframers.org/wiki/>.

Quite welcome...

>There are a couple of things:

The tip of a *very* large berg.  I'd better make it real clear
right now.  A Wiki is a **community** effort.  I put it up, and
I'll certainly participate in adding and correcting information...
but I will *not* provide tech support for it.  It's impossible.
The Wiki must support *itself*.  There are tons of links to docs,
and some kind souls (Hedley among them) have already started to
add info pages.  That's the way to do it!  The WikiWay... ;-)

>@    Each page needs a Home Page BUTTON.

I will happily give admin privileges to anyone I *know* to be
responsible and safe.  I'd prefer not to lose my IPP accounts,
thank you, which irresponsible admin could do real fast.

>@    There needs to be some way to upload graphics to the Wiki server and
>embed them in the pages -- look up TWiki for one way.

An extremely Bad Idea.  I have a lot of server space, but it is
not unlimited.  Not at all.  A few hundred graphics, and it would
all be over.  Just *one* of the wrong kind, and we're history.

>Readers should be able to navigate the Wiki without registration.

They can.

>Contributors must be FORCED to register.  Then their email addresses, etc.
>can be vetted by the Wikimaster for authenticity before they are approved.

As soon as we get a foundation grant to pay a full-time WikiMaster...
and I will *not* apply for the job, thank you.  <bg>

>Once given a password, contributors could then log in and edit pages.
>Like, this could be a one-time thing with cookies or whatever used to
>identify a member coming back at a later time.  This would impose some
>responsibility on contributors.  The registration requirement would
>discourage the p* purveyors ('Not that there is anything wrong with that'
>-- Seinfeld).

See the asterisk above?  That little word has unleashed a flood of
rejection messages to owner-framers from servers all over.  Arrrgh.

>The links aren't updating.  I added some pages, then edited them.  When I
>tried clicking a few links, I got the FIRST version of a page.  Then when I
>edited the page, I got the LATEST version.  Weird.

Hit "Reload" in your browser to get the latest version; it caches
the earlier one and hands it back otherwise.  A FAQ item.

So, folks, ***please*** do not send me any more tech support questions
on the Wiki.  I'm not going to be able to respond to any further ones...
Put your questions up on the Wiki itself; if you don't see a good place
to do that, make one.  Onward!

  (jeremy@omsys.com)  http://www.omsys.com/