Re: globally deleting markers

Dear Framers,

Regardless of version or platform, since at least Frame 4, you can easily
search for Any Marker, or Any Cross-Ref, and therefore  can easily delete
them globally.

CAUTION: If you use several kinds of markers, you may need to delete them
one at a time if you're trying to preserve others.

Examples:

Deleting x-refs...
1. Open the book file (frame 6) or all files in book (Frame 5.x or lower)
2. Cammand/Control+F to open the search dialog.
3. In the Find field, select Any Cross-Ref from the pop up list.
4. In the Change field, leave it empty or type in a unique string for later
use in fixing the x-refs.
5. Click the Find button to test your search set-up.
6. Click the Change button to examine the results. Does it do what you want?
If not, correct the Change field.
7. When you're SURE...click the Change All button, and confirm. (NO UNDO!)
8. If using older versions, save, close file, and repeat on the next file.
NOTE that you need not re-do the Find dialog as long as you continue in the
same session. It goes FAST.

If you're reconstructing the x-refs immediately and globally, then once
again open all files in book, set up the Find dialog to search to your
unique string, and leave all files (or all affected) open to enable the
cross-ref process.

Deleting Index markers is simple if that's the only type used. But usually
one has at least x-refs and Index.

Sooo, the variation goes,
* in step 3, select Any Marker from the pop up list.
* after step 4, enter command+J (Mac) or select Special/Edit MArker in
    Windoze or use the Escape key sequence to open the marker dialog
(on a large monitor, move the Marker dialog out from atop the file window)
* check what type of marker it is
* click Change & Find to delete, OR
  click Find Again to leave the marker as is

It's slower but if you make a mistake while doing it, you can Undo that one
mistake. And if you've got Hyperlink markers and X-refs and Index markers
and maybe others I've forgotten in the laundry list, that's the only way to
preserve them.

Finally, if you're working in an inherited book that's just coming up for a
re-write/revision/new software-haredware version, you can blast the lot with
"Any Marker"...if you're really sure.

Really.

Deborah Snavely
on disability