Re: Acrobat Reader 5.1 (was acrobat 5 and 4 compatibility)

David,

You wrote:

>I use my full version of Acrobat 5.05 to open and view PDF files. Will a
>download of Reader 5.1 work with it?

It will work, but practically it won't make any difference unless you
want to e-mail the currently-open PDF from within Reader or want
to view/print/validate a digital signature included in the PDF.

>Is there a compatible "5.1 patch" for the full version?

There is no "5.1 patch", but a new Acrobat Server product which can
assign "Document Rights" .

*IF* enabled by that product, users with Reader 5.1 can annotate and
save the PDF (hence the Annotations palette present in Reader 5.1,
inactive unless such rights are granted). If I understood correctly,
the enabling Acrobat Server product is available for somewhere in
the range of $70,000-80,000.

A quote from the Reader 5.1 Help on what's new in that version is
at the end of this message.

Also see http://www.planetpdf.com/mainpage.asp?webpageid=2413
for a comparison of Acrobat 5.x, Acrobat Approval 5.x and Acrobat Reader
5.1 Features

Note: based on the Reader 5.1 help, one could understand that the
View Attachments feature does not require Document Rights, but I think
that this is incorrect. Opening documents with file attachments in Reader
5.1, such as http://www.microtype.com/showcase/EmbedTextFiles.pdf,
I was not able to open the attachment, which can be done with the
full version of Acrobat.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType * http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker, Acrobat training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers/Assistants

___________________________________

Reader 5.1 Help:
"What's New in Acrobat Reader 5.1

With powerful new and improved capabilities, Acrobat Reader 5.1 is an
essential tool for anyone who needs to view, navigate, and print documents
in the Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF).

Document Rights
Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.1 contains some features that are available only
when you open PDF documents with additional usage rights. These features
include Save Document, Advanced Form features, Comments, and Digital
Signatures. Creators of PDF documents determine which additional usage
rights are available. When you open a document that includes additional
usage rights, the Document Rights dialog box indicates which features are
enabled and provides instructions from the creator of the PDF document.
(See "Document Rights" on page 26.)

Digital signature validation
If someone sends you a PDF document with a digital signature, you can view,
print, and validate the signature in Acrobat Reader. (See "Verifying
signatures" on page 44.)

View attachments
If the author of the PDF document attached files or multimedia clips, you
can open these attachments in Acrobat Reader. (See "Clicking links that
open movies, sounds, and file attachments" on page 10.)

E-mail PDF files
You can send an e-mail message from Acrobat Reader that includes the open
PDF document as an attachment. (See "Mailing PDF documents from Acrobat
Reader" on page 18.)