Re: Sideheads donīt change

Jan:

> When you remove the "with sidehead" attribute on the master pages, you
> say in effect "This text flow should not reserve room for sideheads. If
> you check your body pages afterwards, there should indeed by no such
> room reserved.
>
> The paragraph property is something else: If y paragraph is defined to
> be a sidehead, you say in effect: This paragraph should be displayed in
> the sidehead area.
>
> So the two properties are related, but not directly connected.
> FrameMaker should not change paragarph definitions because of layotu
> changes.

You missed what Winfried was saying -- paragraphs were not involved.

> > Why is it that when I change the text frames on
> > the master pages from "with sidehead" to "no
> > sidehead" that on the body pages the text
> > frames still keep their sidehead attribute.
> > I have to manually select them and remove
> > "sidehead". I donīt get a message about overrides
> > etc.
> >
> > Shouldnīt the master page layout get applied
> > to the body pages automatically?

If I read this correctly, the original master pages had a sidehead area and
when the body pages were created from them, these also had sidehead areas,
as
you would expect.

When Winfried removed the sidehead area from the master pages, then
switched to
body view, the corresponding body pages did NOT lose their sidehead areas.

This has been my experience too -- you would expect updates to sideheads in
master pages
to be reflected in updated body pages.  Instead, you have to change any
body pages to
no sidehead area and then they ALL change.

An explanation (not an excuse) for this counter intuitive behaviour is that
sideheads
are a flow property, not a text frame property.  So, when you change a
master page --
whose text frame is NOT linked into a flow over several pages, the sidehead
property is
not applied because then only ONE page would have no sideheads.  Changing
the body text
frame seems to tell FrameMaker that, yes, you DO want to change this flow
property.

But I'm with Winfried -- changes to master pages should reflect to body
pages.

Regards,
Hedley

--
Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor

(C) MYOB Limited 2002

                    Jan Henning <henning@r-l.de>
                    Sent by:                                To:     framers@FrameUsers.com (Framers List)
                    bounce-framers-106371@lists.Fram        cc:
                    eUsers.com                              Subject:     Re: Sideheads donīt change

                    31/10/2002 22:48
                    Please respond to Jan Henning

> Why is it that when I change the text frames on
> the master pages from "with sidehead" to "no
> sidehead" that on the body pages the text
> frames still keep their sidehead attribute.
> I have to manually select them and remove
> "sidehead". I donīt get a message about overrides
> etc.
>
> Shouldnīt the master page layout get applied
> to the body pages automatically?

This isn't a question of applying the layout:

When you remove the "with sidehead" attribute on the master pages, you
say in effect "This text flow should not reserve room for sideheads. If
you check your body pages afterwards, there should indeed by no such
room reserved.

The paragraph property is something else: If y paragraph is defined to
be a sidehead, you say in effect: This paragraph should be displayed in
the sidehead area.

So the two properties are related, but not directly connected.
FrameMaker should not change paragarph definitions because of layotu
changes.

Regards
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 8179 9307-12
E-Mail: henning@r-l.de, Web: www.r-l.de