RE: Solaris UNIX FM5.5.6 /tmp directory error

Peter,

There is no aliasing going on with rm or rmdir. That should be behaving normally within the environment of the cron job script. It may be that our network printer list is so large that creating/deleting this file, 1.printerlist, creates a timing problem as a result of its size (8227 bytes).

I look into Thomas' suggestion on adding sleep commands at points where problems seem to be arising to allow for sub-tasks to complete.

I'll also be looking into the following suggestion from Richard Davies (I don't think he posted this):
=======begin embedded message=====================================
As you know, the fmbatch instance in the $FMHOME/bin directory
is simply a link to .wrapper. You can use this to put a
trap in .wrapper such that if $0 = fmbatch, then set and
export an envar (e.g. FMBATCH=yes ) which you can use
in the ./fminit/FMprinterlist shell script, something like:

<       #----------------------------------------------------------------
<       #--- START: Modification -- do not change this or line above
<       if [ "${FMBATCH}x" = yesx ]
<       then
<               if [ -d `/bin/dirname $1` -a `/bin/basename $1` = "1.printerlist" ]
<               then
<                       rm -rf `/bin/dirname $1`
<               fi
<               exit
<       fi
<       #--- END:   Modification -- do not change this or line below
<       #----------------------------------------------------------------

More refinements are possible, or even necessary. Putting the
trap in .wrapper makes sure 'normal' users are completely
unaffected. You could also set a special TMPDIR within the .wrapper
trap for all your fmbatch jobs. Apologies if you are way ahead of this,
and or I've not read your qestion properly ...

(I've cribbed some of the above from the Unix version of our
FM-based publishing product, which needs to play a few tricks
wrt printing, fmprindr.ps, etc.)

HTH.

Of course, shout if you have any questions & I'll try harder.

Regards,

Richard

Thanks to all of you!

Craig