Re: JPEG errors

[original message taken from FrameUsers, this reply sent only to Free Framers]

From: "Böðvar Björgvinsson" <bodvar@atlanta.is>
> this is mostly B/W line graphics, but some are color.
> I am not aware, though, that this should make any difference
> regarding the errors.

You have problems with JPEG images. JPEG is a complex format with many
parameters, which is unsuited for the type of graphics you have.
My advice, therefore, is to stay away from JPEG.

> the jpeg is always smallest in size, and size is something that
> matters here, ...
> I am also concerned about that the format is usable by HTML/XML
> browsers, which excludes tiff and leaves only GIF with its proprietary
> licenses and inadequate format for printing, jpeg, which seems to try
> to combine the best of both worlds and png, which results with often
> 2x the file size of jpeg.

PNG is the best format for your needs. If you cannot live with its
slightly larger file sizes, you have to live with the risk of low
quality graphics and/or problems with JPEG import in FM.

I simply don't think you can have it all.