Right tool for print + multi-version Web + .pdf + ... ?

Hi all,

A few years ago I used FrameMaker 4 (Macintosh) on some book-length documents with lots of illustrations and cross-references. It was great! Now I'm planning a large, complex print-plus-web project and wonder if FrameMaker 6 +SGML  is the right tool for the job. (I'm a website newbie, but don't mind a steep learning curve if the tools will do the job.)

My initial project will be a content-heavy (articles, papers) website with some related print documents, plus a photo archive. I'm planning to have multiple versions of the same site so I can accommodate overseas users with very slow connection speeds (text only). Content documents will be available in HTML for online viewing, and .pdf for printing. Parts of the site will eventually be translated into various languages, including Arabaic and perhaps Chinese. Over time, I'll also be adding slide shows, some with voice-overs, and perhaps video.

A priority is minimizing site maintenance and minimizing hassles when changes are made. I'm hoping FrameMaker will allow me to maintain the text portions of the site as a FrameMaker archive, auto-generating tables of contents and automatically updating cross-references, and that I'll then be able to export changed documents as HTML for the website proper.

So, is FrameMaker 6 +SGML the right tool for the job? If not, what is, and why?

Thanks,
Wilma

Wilma Keppel
wkeppel@pacbell.net