Re: PostScript error printing (some) PDF

David,

more information is always very useful in letting others help diagnose
problems:

What sort of system (Win 98, MacOS 9x, ???)
Which versions of the applications are you using?
What are the specifics of the printer to which you are sending the
output: brand and model, installed memory, etc.

Can you print this to any other PS capable printer, or does this occur
on all printers?

Especially on a page with multiple graphics, I might guess this is a
memory issue in the printer, rather than a problem with the file itself.

One quick thing to try is open the file in Acrobat 5 (don't know if 4
works the same), then SAVE AS a different PDF and see if that (resaved)
file prints correctly.  Acrobat 5 has a good bit of "cleanup" that it
performs on the internals of a file when you save it to a different name
(somehow, saving it on top of itself just doesn't do the same cleanup).

I've see files shrink by 25 percent, just from this simple step.  And
many thanks to Shlomo Perets (www.microtype.com) for the info on this
trick.

"Foster, David" wrote:

> Hi. I need help toubleshooting the following PostScript error printing a PDF
> file:
>
> PostScript Error Handler
>
> Offending Command = clip
> Error = nametype : limitcheck
> Stack =
>              --nostringval--
>
> The Adobe site didn't yield much specific information in the way of PS Error
> Handler messages.
>
> Some notes:
>
> *       I created this PDF file by printing to Acrobat Distiller.
> *       The page on which it bails out is in the middle of a chapter. It
> contains three screen shots. All of the page's text prints, as does the
> first screen shot. The final two screen shots do not appear.
> *       The postscript and PDF files are both created without incident. It's
> only when I go to print the PDF that I encounter this problem (and only with
> this document).
>
> Any help is much appreciated, as PDF is scheduled to go to the printer this
> week.

-- Lester
 Lester C. Smalley              | email: lsmalley@infocon.com
 Information Consultants, Inc.  | phone: (302) 239-2942
 Hockessin, DE  USA  19707-0310 | fax:   (302) 239-1712