Re: Problem with fontdisplay on UNIX

> I just installed a PS-Typ-1 font on UNIX (AIX 4.3.3) for FrameMaker 6.0. I
> updated the fontlist file and uploaded the *.afm and *.pfb files from a PC.
> Then I converted the *.pfb to *.pfa with the fmAdobePCFont program.
> Now I have the strange problem, that some characters of the upper half of
> the charactercodes are not correctly displayed by FrameMaker.

What do you mean by "not correctly displayed"? Is some other character
displayed instead, or is the character not displayed at all, or is it
displayed but with bad quality?

> The font uses
> a fontspecific characterencoding (but it is only slightly different from
> Adobe Standardencoding).
> The characters are printed correctly. I have no problems with the same font
> with FrameMaker 6.0 on NT 4.0.

I would guess that character encodings would work the same on both platforms,
but maybe they don't. It could also be a problem with the font installation.
Perhaps fmAdobePCFont creates a bad PFA file? I would test the font installation
in the following way:

1. Make a backup copy of your edited fontlist file and revert to an unedited
   version. Restart FrameMaker to make sure the fontlist file works OK.
2. Instead of editing the fontlist file, try to add the font using the
   "psres" method. See my web page for more information:
   http://w1.184.telia.com/~u18407300/fonts/addfonts.html
   (I'm not 100% sure it can be used on AIX, but try it)
3. Restart FrameMaker.
4. If you still have problems with the display, try to use the original
   PFB file instead of the PFA file, and repeat the font installation.
   You will probably not be able to print the font, but you could check
   if the display is correct (in which case it's a problem with the PFA file).
5. If you still have problems with the display, revert back to your edited
   fontlist file, and try to create the PFA file in some other way.
   Check the software at http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/pssoftware.html

Regards,

Thomas Michanek, FrameMaker/UNIX/MIF expert
Technical Writer, IAR Systems, Uppsala, Sweden
mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telia.com
http://go.to/framers/    (updated on Oct. 11)