Re: Attention Forehelp Users

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 14:35:18 -0800, "Flato, Gillian"
<Gillian.Flato@wyldfyre.com> wrote:

>FYI...
>
>I just heard, and had it confirmed by a Forehelp employee, that Forehelp is
>closing down. They are making an announcement about it on Jan 2. Robohelp is
>offering a competitive conversion price for Forehelp users of $449 which is
>a 50% discount.

That's interesting.  Here's what an eHelp official said on another list on
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 18:15:25 -0800, Michael Hamilton <MHamilton@ehelp.com>:

>In light of these events we want to help Forefront users by making available
>to them a special pricing offer on RoboHelp Office 2002. eHelp is offering a
>free copy of RoboHelp Office 2002 in exchange for sending in your original
>ForeHelp Premiere 2001 CD. This is an unusual offer in response to the
>situation and will only be available through the end of December. Contact an
>eHelp sales associate for all of the details (contact info is on our Web
>site).

So it's gone from $0 to $449 in one day.  And the $0 offer expires
*before* the official announcement... heh.  We're also a competitor
of ForeHelp, with Mif2Go for FrameMaker users, but we'd agree with:

[Gillian]

>Before I talk to my boss about buying Robohelp, I will wait till their
>official announcement on Jan 2.

Wise.  And consider some other possibilities, *any* of which would
give you better single-sourcing from Frame than either FH *or* RH...
Mif2Go, AuthorIT, and Quadralay's WWP Pro.

>Once Robohelp came out with Framemaker support, I wondered how Forehelp was
>going to compete. I guess that question has been answered for me.

Maybe.  Also on that other list (HATT), on Fri, 21 Dec 2001 11:14:46
-0800, "Stern, Matthew" <matthew.stern@bestsoftware.com> wrote:

>I e-mailed Kathy Wolfskill at ForeFront yesterday when this thread first
>started. As Ann shared with her message, ForeFront will make a public
>announcement around 2 January. They have nothing to announce to the public
>yet, so we all have to wait. ForeFront has been working on some new things
>and have planned some announcements for WinWriters. It could just as likely
>be an announcement about a new product approach as their closing their doors
>or being sold. The only thing we can do is wait.

With which I totally agree.  The thread on HATT is longer, and can
be viewed at its Web archive under "Forehelp Premiere 2001 support?":

  (jeremy@omsys.com)  http://www.omsys.com/