Re: framers-digest V1 #673

I developed an FDK plugin that maintained unique IDs.  It's bigger than
a bread-box, I might add.

The problem is not unusual - you have a doc database, and you use
Maker+SGML to create doc subsets.  And of course, you need to have xrefs
that will work once you pull all the subsets together in a specific doc
instance.  But Maker can't ensure unique IDs across files.

We had a utility that tracked serial numbers, and used these for the IDs
of specific elements that were defined to be one-of-a kind for each sub
doc.  All children of these special elements had the serialnumber as a
prefix to their IDs.  I have heard of people using filenames as a prefix
as well.  Then we let Maker assign the ID value postfix.  This got us
unique IDs.

How did we get Maker to assign the post-fix?  Just let Maker create the
attr val, then modify the result.  Exact details may vary depending on
your specific situation.  Just having all these files in a book seems
suspect to me if you think that will force Maker to give unique ID vals
across all components.  I believe you still have the same problem -
putting the files in a book doesn't change that.  (But I could be wrong...)

Where it got hairy was dealing with cut/copy/paste, move, delete,
ad-nauseum user functions...  What do you do in each case?  But in the
end we got something that worked rather well - at least the final end
users haven't complained or reported any bugs.

I suspect that writing up a utility to convert legacy xrefs to use the
new IDs would not be rocket science.  If you want more detail about the
fun I had with this, contact me offline.

Cheers                  cud