Re: FM+SGML EDD: Automatic insertions.

"Andersen, Verner" wrote (and I reformatted for clarity):

> How do I get FM+SGML to automatically insert the IT_Introtext even though I
> want the possibility to optionally insert one or two DT_Descriptive texts in
> front of the IT_IntroText. In 90% of the case I don't use the
> DT_DescriptiveText after the Label.

> Element (Container): SE_StructureElement
> General rule:   Label, (DT_DescriptiveText, DT_DescriptiveText?)?,
>                        IT_IntroText, (Figure | Table | L_List),
>                        (DT_DescriptiveText | CO_CallOut)*
>         Attribute list
>                 Name: ID        Unique ID       Optional
>                 Control flags:Read-only
>         Automatic insertions
>                 Automatically insert child:     Label

The insertion of the "Label" element should be fine, as this conforms
to FM+SGML's concept of inserting a sub-element.  But it is not
possible using any of the mechanisms provided in the standard program
to insert "siblings" to the Label element, it is only possible to
insert additional subelements.

If Label itself has a general rule that included other elements, you
could also specify inserting more deeply nested components of the
structure via the "and nested child" rule (the "InsertNestedChild"
element in the EDD definiton)

Note that it should be possible to create a special function via the
FDK (or maybe FrameScript) to do as you wish.  But a simple option is
to create a dummy document that contains an example of the structure
you wish, and just cut and paste from it into your actual file to have
the normal structure you use. You could have both sequences you use
(with and without "DT_DescriptiveText") in the sample.

> Element (Container): Label
> General rule:   <TEXT>
> Text format rules
>                 In all contexts.
>         Use paragraph format: BL-Block label
>         Automatic insertions
>                 Automatically insert child:     IT_IntroText
>         Text format rules
>                 Element paragraph format: BL-Block label

This is impossible: the "IT_IntroText" is not a child element of the
label (which contains just TEXT), and the "insert" rules are
explicitly for automatic addition of a sub-element.

-- Lester
 Lester C. Smalley              | email: lsmalley@infocon.com
 Information Consultants, Inc.  | phone: (302) 239-2942
 Hockessin, DE  USA  19707-0310 | fax:   (302) 239-1712