problem with PDF links

FMers--
When we generate a PDF, we find that x-refs are all live, even
those to other books. The x-refs to other places in the same book
are OK, but x-refs to other books give an error message when
clicking on them. Arobat can't find them, which is to be
expected.
What I would like is to find some easy way of setting some x-refs
as live in the PDF and others as not. Can this be done, either in
FM or Acrobat?
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
--Alex
                Alex Ragen
       Technical Publications Manager
         Check Point Software Technologies
            WE SECURE THE INTERNET
  phone: +972 3 753 4552 fax: +972 3 575 9256
          http://www.checkpoint.com
This message may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information and is intended only for
the person/entity to whom it was originally
addressed. The contents of this message may
contain private views and opinions which do not
constitute a formal disclosure or commitment
unless specifically stated.