Re: MIFed

Jennifer:

> I'd be interested in any information anyone has on MIF files too. I am
> working to convert some javadocs to fm format and the tool I have to use
> is called the MIFdoclet. There's very little information on this tool and
> the batch processor (DZ batcher) needed to make the conversion.
>
> If anyone has a really good link that explains MIF files in depth I'd
> really appreciate it.

Think of MIFdoclet as a converter that generates MIF files instead of HTML
files.  MIF is an ASCII format that is to FrameMaker as the RTF ASCII
format is to Word -- try saving a FrameMaker file as MIF, then looking at
in a text editor (not Notepad as it cannot handle large files).

In practice, take the MIF that MIFdoclet generates and open it in
FrameMaker.  Then, if you don't like the look-and-feel, modify the
para/char/table/page/cross-reference, etc. formats to your taste.  Stash
this away as a template somewhere.  After future conversions of MIF, simply
import the formats from your template to convert them to your preferred
appearance.

There is a useful utility called MIFbrowser if you are absolutely hellbent
on finding out more about MIF than you need to know.  Go to
<http://www.wideman-one.com/>.  Also, in the FrameMaker installation there
is a MIF reference guide at <Fm6.0InstallFolder>\OnlineManuals\ folder
($FMHOME/fminit/<lang>/OnlineManuals/ on UNIX).

[Windows 2000, FrameMaker 6.0p405, FrameScript 1.27C01, Enhance 2.03,
Acrobat 4.05.2, mif2go 31r25, IXgen 5.5.h]

Regards,
Hedley

--
Subscribe to Free Framers -- send this message
      subscribe framers your@email.address

Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor
MYOB Australia <http://www.myob.com.au/>
P.O. box 371   Blackburn VIC 3130   Australia
<mailto:hedley_finger@myob.com.au>
Tel. +61 3 9894 0945
Mob. +61 412 461 558