Re: PS 1.0.2 already in W2K SP1?

Thomas,

You wrote:

>Quoting a previous posting by Dov Isaacs concerning PS drivers
>on Windows 2000 (see below), I ask:
>If you have Windows 2000 Service Pack 1 installed, do you
>still need to download and install the Universal Adobe PostScript
>Driver 1.0.2 from Adobe, or does Windows 2000 SP1 already
>contain this updated PS driver?
>(My Windows 2000 SP1 system is version 5.00.2195 and the
>system's PS printer driver is version 5.00.2134.1)

The driver installed by the Universal Windows Installer 1.0.2 on
Win2000 may be slightly newer than the one included with SP1,
but for FrameMaker/PDF purposes results will be identical.

To make things interesting, the printer driver version numbers
displayed after installing SP1 or UI 1.0.2 may even be the same
as with the original Win2000 driver, even though the driver was
updated.

Given this, an easy way to know whether you have the right AdobePS
driver on Win2000 is to distill a PS file that was produced from
FrameMaker with Acrobat Data turned on. If you get an
"... offending command: FmPD2 ..." message when trying to distill,
use SP1 or UI 1.0.2 or both.

(Notice that 1.0.2 is not the driver version but only the installer version;
different driver versions will be installed depending on the Windows OS.)

A related problem that is worth mentioning: If following the driver
installation/update, you have problems producing PS from FrameMaker
and get a message saying "Cannot write to specified print file", you need
to select or define a FILE: port for your AdobePS driver.

- Start > Settings > Printers, right-click the Distiller printer icon,
   and choose Properties.
- Click the Ports tab.
- If you see a FILE: port, select it.
- If you don't have one, click Add Port, select Local Port,
   and click New Port. Type FILE:

Select this port for the Distiller Printer, and retry printing the PS file.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType * http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker-to-Acrobat: SP TimeSavers / Advanced Techniques Course / Solutions