Re: Tech Writers Tool Kit

Although I believe choice of tool is important, I think that most tool knowledge
in a novice or entry-level writer is simply a bonus. The more you know the
better. It's up to the experienced writers/managers to be the tool experts and
deliver solid templates and work procedures to the new writer. Whether it's word
or frame all the novice writer has to do is fill in the blanks, and that's more
or less the same job using any software package.

Knowledge of PDF production doesn't have to be any greater than knowing what PDF
is. A novice writer will not be in charge of producing final documents after
all. If they are, the work procedures should already be in place.

As for illustration or screen capture software I have the same feelings. In many
places this knowledge is irrelevant because you've entered into the job
description of the technical illustrator.

For me, the beginning knowledge/skills should be:
- good organization skills, good writing skills, the ability to gather
information, knowledge of computer use/DTP/word processing software, and a good
solid grounding in the technology that you want to document.

Eric L. Dunn