From: Stuart Burnfield [mailto:stuartb@tpg.com.au]
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2001 6:45 PM
To: John Keim
Cc: Framers; Free Framers
Subject: RE: Open architecture for recording/editing Macros, etc.

Hi John -

my heart is still with UNIX, but my head says you should be able to
do everything you want by sticking with NT. Try looking into these
and see if they're up to your reqs:

Macros: FrameScript http://www.frametools.com/
fmbatch: DZbatcher http://www.miramo.com/dzbatcher
Frame Developers Kit
http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/framefdk/main.html
UNIX text processing tools (sed, gawk, grep ...) :
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin
Indexing tools:
    IXgen http://home.pacifier.com/~franks/ixmid.html
    Index Tools http://www.kagi.com/SPSoftware/

BTW the Adobe people on the list frequently say NT 4.0 is not a
suitable platform for publishing, but Win 2000 is, so if you can
swing an upgrade you might avoid some production problems down
the track. (They also say under no circumstances use the buggy
upgrade feature -- installing Win 2000 from scratch is much
cleaner and more reliable.)

Now my stomach is saying it's time for a coffee, even though my
head says I only had one an hour ago...

Regards
---
Stuart Burnfield