Re: An observation about the list headers

On Thu, 08 Feb 2001 18:52:47 -0500, "Lester C. Smalley"
<lsmalley@infocon.com> wrote:

>Has anyone else noticed that, when sending to the general list
>addres (frameusers@frameusers.com) the TO: and CC: headers are
>re-written?
>
>I notice this especially when I reply to a message posted to
>both frameusers and "framers@omsys.com", and the second address
>is consistenly missing from the message relayed by frameusers.
>
>Why is this?  Isn't a little healthy competition and the broader
>disemmination of questions and answers a good idea?

Actually, IIRC, the rewriting was necessary because of a feature
of Lyris.  Previously, when you sent a post to both lists using CC:,
your post went, as desired, to both servers.  But then, Lyris
(the frameusers listserver software) would itself *also* send to
the CC, so if that was framers@omsys.com, *two* copies went there.
A Bad Thing.  OTOH, Majordomo (the omsys listserver software) just
preserved the CC as part of the message, but otherwise ignored it,
so there is no problem there requiring the elimination of the extra
addresses.  This is one of the many times that I have appreciated
Brad's quick action, correcting this multi-posting problem.

       Oh sir, you know well that life is full of infinite
       absurdities, which, strangely enough, do not even
       need to appear plausible, since they are true.
                                              --Pirandello

--Jeremy H. Griffith  <postmaster@omsys.com>